CBD can be found in all types of products since the 2018 Farm Bill legalized CBD with less than 0.3% THC, the hallucinogenic component of the hemp plant. However, the FDA has not provided any additional regulations. CBD should not be used in food and beverages until it is designated as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the FDA.
In the wake of federal legalization and without firm guidelines from the FDA, different states and even counties have determined their own regulatory standards for the manufacturing and sale of CBD.
If you are using CBD or considering selling a CBD product, it is essential to pay attention to regulations as they differ across the nation. Here is a quick look at varying guidelines in different states:
- California and Colorado have regulatory standards that are similar to each other.
- Colorado has a cannabis industry Occupational Health and Safety Work Group as well as an industry guide on worker safety and health.
- California, North Carolina and Texas still adopt the FDA’s position that hemp-based CBD cannot be a dietary supplement or food ingredient.
- Oregon has a full packaging and labeling guide to help their cannabis businesses created and updated by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets and the New York City Health Department have clashed on CBD regulations. The New York State Department cleared the sale of CBD edibles and beverages that adhere to the strict existing guidelines for the manufacturing and marketing of CBD dietary supplements. But, New York City Health Department officials began confiscating CBD edibles in February 2019, claiming the products were federally illegal.
- Idaho, South Dakota and Nebraska take the position that all CBD is illegal under state law.
- Maine and Oklahoma passed laws that permit CBD retail sales.
- Kansas and Wyoming protect all CBD with up to 0.3% THC within state laws.
- Indiana and Utah have specialized labeling requirements, such as QR codes and child-resistant packaging.
Viapure is setting the bar high in the hemp industry, and it is our mission to bring you a premium product that adheres to the rules and regulations put in place by the FDA.
If you would like more information about our CBD products, contact our team of experts at info@Viapure.com. We’d love to connect with you.